- A feeling of great pleasure and happiness.
When you start to feel challenged, dismissed, anxious, angry, pissed off, pissed on…I am here to tell you that NONE of those feelings serve you well! When you stop thinking about what is wrong with your life and focus on what is right, you will find your joy. There are a million ways to find your joy so, I am going to summarize some of the better ways to bring back and reclaim your joy.
- REFOCUS. Stop asking what if, why me, if I had only done *whatever* then things wouldn’t be so bad. Change our focus and ask what can I learn from this, what can I do to make this better, how am I better because of this, what can I do to overcome this? When you focus on the good in everything, that will multiply; when you focus on what’s wrong, THAT will multiply.
- BE STILL. Sit in a quiet place and THINK about future goals, happy memories, etc. Make a list of five accomplishments and/or great moments from the past. Envision a future that makes you excited, write it down—IN DETAIL—then start thinking about making your future a reality.
- GRATITUDE. Understand that tough times do NOT last forever, this is just a small road bump in life. Do not let yourself be defined by the negativity in the situation but think about what good things came about because of this. Find little joys in life—things that make you smile.
- PURGE. When you are feeling stuck, start thinking about what you can let go: clothes, shoes, clutter that are weighing you down. This also applies to toxic relationships, jobs, activities, that no longer serve you well. When you get rid of what weighs you down, you will feel lighter and free to make room for new things to enter your life. Let that shit go and stop looking back. Don’t feel guilty, feel free!
- NO. That is a complete sentence, no explanation required. Learn to say no to things that you don’t want to do or to people that steal your joy. When you learn to say NO and mean it, you are taking charge of your life and not tolerating bullshit.
- LEARN. The past is THE PAST—nothing you can do to change it, fix it, or make it better. The only benefit from past experiences is that you learned something. Take the ‘f’ (failure) word out of your vocabulary and move on. Yes, it happened. No, you can’t change it. Yes, you are a better person. Now, move on. Your life is what you LIVE today, not what happened yesterday.
- MOVE. Stop procrastinating and do something to move forward in your life. Stop allowing problems to fester and grow, take care of what needs to be dealt with and keep it moving. You will feel SO much better when you start seeing growth and accomplishment. Procrastination weighs you down so, stop it!
- DOUBT. Stop doubting yourself and your abilities. Set some goals and start working towards them. If they are easy goals, they are not big enough. YOU GOT THIS, learn and grow. Our lives are not defined by the goals that we set, they are defined by the journey that we took to get there. Why? Because we learn and grow as a result of moving towards something bigger.
- FIXER. Stop trying to fix people, nothing you do can fix them unless and until they WANT to be fixed. Oftentimes, when you are pushing someone to change they become even more resistant and then you are just spending time and energy on someone that is not interested in change. You get more and more frustrated, then comes resentment and disappointment. If you are dealing with an emotional vampire person, let them BE whatever they want and DO YOU instead.
- WORRYING. Stop worrying about what other people think about you, your home, your car, your clothes, your job, whatever! Enjoy what YOU have because there is ALWAYS something better AND worse out there. Concentrate on what makes YOU happy instead of trying to keep up with Sally next door (that you really can’t stand, BTW) and live your life on YOUR terms.
- COMPARING. You have NO idea what people do, say, or have done, said to get where they are today. Stop thinking that you know how they got there and stop comparing yourself to every person out there. Stay in your lane and focus on changing/growing yourself because you are whole and complete just as you are RIGHT NOW!
- PERFECTION. This does NOT exist in real life, no one is perfect and perfection is NOT realistic. Stop waiting to be perfect, to have the perfect skillset or perfect life—that is part of the beauty of being human, we all have flaws and weaknesses and THAT is what makes us beautiful! Recognize that no one is perfect, no one’s life is perfect (no matter what they may tell you), and perfection is unattainable. In the end, happiness is the goal—NOT perfection!
There you have it, a cheat sheet to help you to bring back some joy in your life. Stop letting others have your power, take it back and find your smile. Be sure to visit my website to set up your FREE Unmasking Session, let’s talk about how to be OK with living transparently, authentically, and from the inside out!